Adoption 101For Birth ParentsDiscuss AdoptionParent ProfilesHome


British Columbia
New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island
General Adoption Information
Important Issues
Public Adoption
Private Adoption

Social Services Offices

Other Site Features
Adoption News Archive
Adoption Books
Adoption Message Boards
Events Calendar
Parent Profiles
Blog About Adoption
Other Resources

Share |


Adopting in Alberta

Important Adoption Issues

Who can adopt in Saskatchewan?

  • A child may be placed for adoption with one adult or 2 adults jointly.
  • One adult may apply to the court to jointly become a parent of a child with a birth parent of the child.

Do I need a homestudy to adopt in Saskatchewan?

Yes. All prospective adoptive parents must complete a homestudy. During the homestudy, a social worker will interview you about why you’ve chosen adoption, your childhood, your family, your views on parenting, your relationship with your partner (if applicable) and other appropriate topics. Social workers do not expect families to be perfect. In fact, they are looking for people who have dealt with life’s challenges and how they have overcome them. At the end of these interviews, the social worker writes a report and will give her recommendations about adoption for your family.

What does an open adoption mean in Saskatchewan?

Openness refers to the relationship between the adoptive family and the birth family. The relationship may involve the exchange of letters and pictures or visits without the exchange of identifying information or it may involve a relationship where identifying information is exchanged. Birth parents and adoptive parents decide together on the communication and/or contact they will have. Each adoption is negotiated to meet the needs of birth parents, adoptive parents, and the child.
The range of openness options may include:

  • birth and adoptive parents deciding to meet but not giving identifying information about themselves;
  • birth and adoptive parents meeting and exchanging identifying information;
  • birth parents requesting adoptive parents be present at the birth of the baby; and
  • birth parents and adoptive parents exchanging letters, and sometimes pictures, either through Social Services or directly.

Who must give consent to an adoption in Saskatchewan?

Generally, for the adoption of a child in Saskatchewan, consents are taken from:

  • the birth mother
  • the birth father
  • in the case of a Crown ward, the minister or the director acting on behalf of the minister;
  • any person appointed as the child's guardian
  • the child, if he/she is 12 years of age or older

What are the rights of birth fathers in Saskatchewan?

A birth father in Saskatchewan must consent to the adoption of his child. However, the court may, on an ex parte application, dispense with the requirements to give notice to a person who is or may be a birth parent of the child if the court is satisfied that dispensing with that requirement:

  • is necessary to protect the mental or physical health or safety of a person;
  • is in the best interests of the child; or
  • is necessary in the circumstances of the case.

When can the adoption consents be granted?

A birth mother's consent to an adoption is only valid if the child is at least 3 days old when the consent is signed.

Can adoption consents be withdrawn?

Yes. In Saskatchewan, the birth parent(s) may withdraw his/her consent to the adoption plan within 14 days after the day on which the consent forms for adoption or transfer of guardianship were signed. The withdrawal of consent must be in writing and be received by a director or an adoption agency within the 14 day period.

Can prospective adoptive parents advertise their desire to adopt in Saskatchewan?

No. Saskatchewan's Adoption Act states that no person shall publish in any form or any means an advertisement soliciting a child for adoption or for the purpose of finding adoptive parents for children.

Can an agency or adoptive family help with a birth parent’s expenses?

No. It is illegal to give or receive or even offer to give or receive payment to procure a child in Saskatchewan and Canada.


About This Site
Copyright Notice
Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Click here to see our facebook page
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!